Posted on the 6th of November, 2009
Yeah, I know, it’s been a while since my last blog update. Well just to get you back on track I’ve completed my MSc in Internet Computing and I came back home permanently. After three years in the UK I’ve returned to Cyprus to continue a life with slow internet connections and non-professionals everywhere. I’ll leave these rantings for another time though. The reason of this post is to let you know (especially those RSS readers out there) that I’ve updated my site’s design. I’ve been working on a redesign for a while now and after a couple of unreleased designs I finally made my mind. I’ve included some nice additions that hopefully you will like too.
So without further ado, here’s the breakdown:
- More emphasis is given to the photos rather than everything else. Based on my stats, the majority of the hits I receive are photo related. People visit this site to check out my photos so I provided bigger thumbnails in the frontpage
- Only the latest blog post is displayed in the frontpage. In case you need to get more posts, you can check the ‘Archives‘ section on the top
- More jQuery Love. I really love jQuery so I’ve added some nice effects/enhancements all over the place. Most of you won’t even notice them but they are there (:
- Photos are now cached (and resized) on my server and only a fraction of photos are retrieved from flickr. This is due to flickr’s recent outage that made my website inaccessible. Let me see you try now flickr! :P
- On the ‘Photography’ section, when viewing a single photo, you get a bigger resolution that before. It takes up the whole viewing space of the page and they look good especially on landscape photos. Example here
- I’ve added a nice little feature that ‘turns the lights off’ when you hover you mouse on a single photo. This helps you concentrate on the photo and fades out the surrounding ‘distractions’. Test it out by hovering your mouse over this photo!
- I’ve completely removed all the ads I had because they didn’t serve anything and they ‘slowing’ down the site.
So there you have it. The most important updates that you might encounter on the new design. Let me know how the new design works for you and of course if you found any bugs.